This question, what languages do you know, means something very different in our house. Living in a nerd house, the word languages refer to Ruby, Java, C++, Python, Objective C, Javascript, C, and oh so many others. If you are confused by these languages that is probably because you're not a programmer, or married to one. These and hundreds of other somewhat silly sounding names are programming languages. Now if you are married to one, like I am, than I know what you go through when your husband is trying to explain what he just did with the data . And you're not surprised when your husband wakes up from a dream and says, "I was designing a database with Picard and Ryker, in pencil, and kept saying, this taking forever, why aren't we using a computer."
Yep, my husband is constantly thinking about programming, I wouldn't surprised if every third thought isn't about his code. Often we will be sitting together, maybe watching T.V., and my husband will be sitting there brows furrowed and looking like Einstein discovering something new about new about the theory of relativity. Then he'll and say "I got." and then says some kind of programming gibberish that is mostly for him and not really me. The same thing happens sometimes when we're falling asleep, needless to say it can wake me up.
Those the hazards of being married to a master programmer. That sounds like I'm bragging but honestly I'm being modest saying he's a master programmer, Jeremy blows programming projects out of the water, more like out of this world. When I first met I'm I just thought he was really smart and as far as I knew a good programmer, but then he job offer, after job offer, after job offer, each better than the last. I've heard many people, family, bosses, and school friends sing his praises often. I'm sorry I am bragging, but hey I can brag about my husband!
I am used to the black screen with green, pink, and orange symbols dispersed nonsensically throughout the page, well it's nonsensical to me anyway. To my husband, father in-law, sister in-law, other sister in-law, and brother in-law, it probably makes perfect sense. That's why I was nervous putting the languages down, because I'm still not quite sure if Objective C really is a full language, and I'm sure if it's not my father in-law will comment:) I proudly come from a programming family, well I married into one, and I love it, the family not necessarily the programming.


Great post, Candy. Spot on! And yes, Objective C is a real programming language.... well sort of..... if you don't mind getting your hands dirty on Apple products :P You really did marry into a geeky family. You and my wife are the sanity in our lives that keeps us in balance!! Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteYes, thank goodness there's a few normal people thrown in the bunch like you and I and Andrew to keep the rest of them down to earth. lol. I think I have one awesome family, and we're so glad you're a part of it.
ReplyDelete