Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Mickeys mow the lawn

I'm sure you are rather unimpressed by my title, but before you redirect to another page you should see my pictures and you may be enticed to stay a little longer on my blog.

Let me begin with a little background. My husband and I bought a house last year and finally were able to move into it at the end of August. Well all of you who live in Utah can imagine what a Utah summer can do to a lawn. No, it had not turned into a weed patch, instead the heat and aridity of  our state decimated the lawn leaving it a sorry yellow sight. We were able to revive it a little in the month and half we had the sprinklers on, but weeds reigned supreme. So close to winter we decided to just leave it and try our best to bring it back the next summer.

That brings us up to now, well I guess a couple of weeks ago. We had made the decision to go to Home Depot and make that house christening purchase of a lawn mower. Being the nerds we are, we often use an analytical approach to pretty much everything.  My husband took two hours to pick it out. Now that sounds like a ridiculous amount of time, but we're used to is, especially for something like this.

We brought home our shiny new red Toro lawn mower and after a few finishing touches we put it to work; and did it work!  It took my husband about six hours to mow that monster of a lawn. I helped with the easier parts, but being a mower novice, my husband mowed the hip-high grass. We mowed so much that the mower ran out of gas, and we had to use more or our gas repository.

Now all we have to show for it is, well a shorter lawn without giant weeds and grass, and huge pile of grass, just waiting to be shipped out in our trash can, and molding while it waits.


Our Giant weed patch, much to our embarrassment...

I was a little nervous stepping out into this jungle in case something was out there ready to snatch me and pull me into the never-ending pit of grass!

Poor guy, this was only the first strip of the backyard he still had a LONG way to go.


The backyard after, much improved. 

Since then we have mowed our lawn another time, and sadly we had our first causality of mowing. Jeremy stepped on a bird in one of the longer patches so he didn't see it. Something you really don't hear all that often, but he came in as he was prepping for the backyard and said "The weirdest thing just happened, I stepped on a bird, it didn't even fly away or anything." The saddest part is when we went back out to survey the scene the bird was still alive with it's breathing very labored, so we decided to put it out of it's misery. It was quite a sorrowful event because some of the birdy's friends, or at least I hope they were, gathered on our roof and chirped confusedly. We felt pretty bad, lesson learned in long grass watch where you're stepping, you might just step on a bird. 
Well that was kind of a downer so I'll tell a joke to bring the spirit of things back up
So a guy found a penguin on the beach and the guy went to the police to ask what to do, the police officer told him to take him to the zoo. A few days later the police officer saw the man with the penguin and said "I thought I told you to take him to the zoo." 
The man replied "I did, he loved it, now we're going the movies!"


1 comment:

  1. Haha, funny joke. The lawn looks so much better! I'll bet you were glad to get that done. Sad story about the bird though.

    ReplyDelete