Friday, August 16, 2013

My Life with Pi

I have a cat named Pi. Isn't that the perfect name for a cat living in a nerd house? In a way I think we stole Pi. I agreed to watch him for a few months for a friend from High School, and after those months, I couldn't really part with my favorite white cat. His name originally was Pai Mai, but we just shortened it to Pi. I felt guilty that we basically stole him, but his owners were so kind to let me keep him.
When we first got him he was still a little lanky and his fur was thin like a kitten's. Since then he has fattened up (in a good way) and his fur has gotten much thicker giving him very attractive cat features.


We travel with Pi whenever we go to California to visit Jeremy's parents and he actually does really well. The first time we didn't have air conditioning and I felt like I was committing animal cruelty because he sat in the backseat panting for about an hour. The last time we took him we made a couple day stop in St. George to have a short vacation with my family. Our plan was to drop him off one night at my cousins then check him into the Red Rock Pet Resort (I know...pet resort) where he would stay for a couple of days. Just FYI boarding cats is surprisingly inexpensive. On the way back from my cousin's house to the pet resort, Pi, who had not relieved himself since the previous morning couldn't hold it anymore and peed all over our car. I remember grabbing him and getting a handful of wet fur. In my naiveté I said "Why is Pi all wet?" I pull my hand out from under him and look at the yellow tinged liquid. The poor white cat, gave himself highlights. We, in emergency mode, took him the pet resort and made an appointment for him to be washed. I felt bad taking him to a strange place where he was washed, and put in a room with cats hissing at him. I do think our car was more on Jeremy's mind, though. We had to make a quick stop at our hotel to use the WiFi (apparently T-Mobile only gets E in St. George.) I made a potty break myself and when I jumped in the car I admitted to Jeremy "I'm not gonna lie, it kinda smells like donuts in here." Jeremy looked at me a little annoyed and said "That makes me worried about your relationship with donuts." Thanks to google we found an excellent car detailing service and instantly took the car there. Luckily the smell was eradicated from our car and we had a nice lemon meringue smelling car the rest of the trip. Luckily once Pi was in our loving care again, he didn't seem too traumatized. He also was quite clean after his visit to the pet resort, until he accidentally got locked out in the garage at Jeremy's parent's house. I hadn't heard from him for a while and started to get worried. I started calling for him and heard a muffled cry, coming from the garage. I opened the door and he looked like he had just come out from under a car with gray grease marks dotting his fur.  I am so glad that his original owners let us have this sweet little cat who snuggles with Jeremy and me every night, and through the trauma we put him through still loves us.




1 comment: