Saturday, October 12, 2013

Ode to The Office

I know that this is pretty sad that I am dedicating a blog post to a T.V. show, I mean how lame is my life. Ummm pretty lame! Just kidding. My life is awesome and I do believe that T.V. shows can show us just how awesome our lives actually are, for example The Office. I know that everybody has already said their goodbyes to The Office way back in May, but for those of us who are Netflix junkies and patiently wait until October when mass of network television shows up instantly on streaming our goodbyes to a series doesn't happen until late fall. This is what happened to my husband and I. We don't do Hulu or hook up our computer to the T.V. so we can watch it on the website, nope we HATE ads! So we just wait and use Star Trek TNG to fill up the time:)
This thursday during my awesome Fall Break, we watched the final episode. I totally cried, for a lot of reasons, Erin finding her mom, Dwight and Angela finally getting together, and Michael Scott making one final dirty joke. You may need to read that sentence again, yep I cried when Michael showed up and said "That's what she said." I cried and rolled my eyes a little bit which kept with my tradition of hearing that joke from The Office.
The office has been with me since I was in ninth grade, and throughout high school I would talk about it with my friends especially Mitch Sheridan whom I have known since kindergarten, and my friend Allison Edwards and I shared our love of the office when we went to college and were freshman roommates. Finally I introduced my eternal love to The Office when we got married. He has seen a few episodes but he was still a novice to the whole sitcom. We watched the first five seasons very quickly and each October we have watched the new season. It's a little sad that it's all over. I almost feel like something somewhat important in my life has ended but then I slap myself and think it's just a T.V. show. But in a way monumental T.V. shows like The Office aren't just T.V. shows, they are mirrors of what our society is and in a way how we want to see ourselves
. They are an important aspect of our culture and who we are as a society.  The last line of the last episode is really pivotal I think because it speaks about the purpose of the show and reminds people that life doesn't have to extraordinary to make is special. The last line is from Pam and she says "I think there's a lot of beauty in ordinary, isn't that kind of the point."

No comments:

Post a Comment