Thursday, November 7, 2013

The ACT Explore Test is More than just a Bubble Sheet

Today several 8th grade teachers proctored the ACT explore test which is a preparatory test for the real ACT which they will take as Juniors. Apparently Utah has mandated that now all Juniors will take the ACT test so we need to prepare them for the experience by offering the Explore and the Plan test to get them ready for it. We took 1-3 period to take it and it went pretty well, although fifteen minutes I had my first experience with someone throwing up in my class. Yep I didn't even make it till Christmas without this happening.

In fact I was helping the student at the time fill out the Student information portion and then he held his hand up to his mouth in a fist. I thought he was going to cough, burp, or something harmless; then he got that look on his face that Jeremy got when we were in that glider and that omelet from IHOP was threatening to come back up. I stood, back clearing his path to the trash can, and a nice steady stream of cream colored vomit, piled at the bottom of my trash can. I hate seeing people throw up; even watching people do it on T.V. grosses me out, so needless to say it made feel a little sick.

Although gross, it was probably the smoothest classroom vomit experience ever, none on the floor, desk, or people. I even got my trash can back relatively fast. The student is actually one of mine so I emailed him later to make sure he was okay. It was just one of those weird things that happens every once in a while. The funniest thing is that I had read about it in the supervisors manual and thought, "That'll never happen." That was ringing in my ears as I watched my student hurl into the trash can. In Education NEVER think "That'll never happen to me," because it will the next day. I just don't want anyone to faint or have a seizure, throwing up I can handle.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Amazing it all when in the trash can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Poor kid. I'm loving your teaching stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and he didn't bother coming back the next day for the rest of the test. He's actually one of my students who is one of my sweeties, I felt bad seeing him throw up.

      Delete
  3. Oh man I can't even tell you how glad I was that none of it ended up on the floor! So luckily no smell, or janitor visit.

    ReplyDelete