Sunday, July 6, 2014

We're More Than Just 'Merica

This was draw by one of my students. 
I believe that the  Fourth of July is an interesting holiday because instead of calling it by it's rightful name "Independence Day," we instead call it by its date. The other thing that I think is interesting is that we like to lump all of our American history into one saying "I'm grateful for the men who fought and died for our country." Imagine this last comment in the voice of a slightly annoyed six year old who is saying this at a family party right before the prayer on the food. American is so much more than that though! So much more, and sadly I believe that as Americans we just skip over how truly incredible our country is, and think well we're free so good for us. But what does it mean to be free? And who are the men who "Fought and died for our freedom."

First we need to go back to 1763, when the British imposed the Proclamation of 1763 prohibiting the Colonists from settling the Ohio Valley even though they had fought a very bloody frontier war with the Indians and the French to attain that area. Oh wait did you think I was going to give you a history lesson? Okay I am going to a little but we need to put out beloved Fourth of July into context.

In the proceeding years of the 1760s and 70s several more acts were imposed to procure taxes from the colonists to help pay back the war debt. To Britain the entire practice seemed fair and just but to the Colonists, a group of ragtag Europeans who had escaped a bad relationship with their mother countries, saw it as absolute tyranny.

 They had already started calling themselves Americans, not Britons, which was actually quite a step one that annoyed the British government.
I'm sorry but being a Sci-Fi nerd+ a history nerd perfect combo. 

 Skipping over a few more details, the colonists lashed out in response to these acts, and how they would respond would be the first of it's kinds. This is why I believe America and what it means to history is important. We decided to cut ties from the most powerful country in the world to create a government so revolutionary that for the next two centuries countries would be inspired and follow in our footsteps. I know that American history like every other history is marred by blood and dishonor but what America is founded upon and the kind of country it is should be something that is celebrated and something that is looked upon in awe something that deserves our loyalty as American Citizens. When I say the Pledge of Allegiance I really think about the words I am saying and think of the entirety of American history and think of how that Pledge although written long ago continues to represent this amazing Nation.

This is from one of my favorite historical mini-series John Adams. Oh man I am such a history nerd "one of my favorite historical mini-series" in all honesty I've been watching historical mini-series since I was five. This is the Declaration of Independence scene. Notice how they sit there in a moment of awe because of what they have just done. 

\

If you want to know more of the gritty details declaring independence link here
BTW it may not give such a glorious view of declaring independence as the one I just gave.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree! Most Americans don't appreciate their country enough. If they were to read "behind the beautiful forevers," it would certainly put into perspective how blessed we are here in America. Having lived in other countries, I am so grateful to be an American!

    ReplyDelete