Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How Star Trek Stole My Heart


Five years ago when I saw the first new Star Trek movie I would have never guessed that in the future I would adore this entire universe of entertainment.

I have always been intrigued by Science Fiction and space travel. I mean what girl wasn't at least a little obsessed with Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. Okay maybe just me. My whole life Science Fiction has always appealed to me, making it easy to fall in love with Star Trek, but as I watched I discovered it is so much more than a show about space travel.

It's about REAL people and well, species. The other thing I love about Star Trek, is that the characters struggle with real ethical and moral dilemmas, some that even face ordinary people today. It's not distant or separate from the things we deal with. Even though it is fiction, it still confirms my belief that the more things change, the more they stay the same. And there is a weird paradox going on, we're watching the future in the past that took place in the past, whoa too much to think about.

It can be funny and warm and fuzzy. There is surprisingly a lot of comedy in Star Trek. Some of it can be painfully cheesy, but other things are pretty hilarious. The whole feeling of the show, just makes you feel good. There's no swearing or innuendoes, everyone is almost always very modestly dressed (excepting the movies of course, obviously we haven't made great strides in the 21st century), and topics are always appropriate. It's a show I'd feel comfortable watching with a three year old or a 90 year old and never worry.

It has something for everyone. The Characters are so diverse but also work well together. The story line is varied and has something to please anyone. Truly whether you like a little drama, action, comedy, or mystery Star Trek has it all.

So go ahead give it a try, but I will suggest you  start with Star Trek:The Next Generation, unless you want a few good laughs at the cheesy goofiness of The Original Series. Deep Space Nine is also a fantastic choice if you want to go less mainstream, but has all the great chemistry and intrigue as TNG.


I shared this with my class in a lesson on Haikus. Needless to say they didn't find it nearly as
entertaining as I did.







One day while watching old Vlogbrothers videos Hank Green came out with this gem!







1 comment:

  1. Star Trek Next Generation is by far the best in my opinion. But even the beginning of that season is a little bit cheesy. It gets much better as it goes along. I enjoyed Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but not near as much. Hank Green's song was pretty funny, "What would Captain Picard do?" lol

    ReplyDelete