Tuesday, January 20, 2015

On Starting a New Semester

I stood looking at all my students standing out in the hall staring at me through the hatched glass. Finally the bell rang and someone gained the courage to actually try the door, which all of them had thought was locked! My door doesn't stay open by itself and I have no stopper. You could feel the relief that they felt knowing that I was not as crazy as they thought.
All I can say is that good thing the literary theme of our semester is bravery, obviously some need a little bit of a boost.

I have the chance to teach something for the second time with a new group of students, which for a new teacher, is pretty exciting. As only a second year teacher,  pretty much everything I do is new. I can't wait to try my hand at teaching the same thing with my round two tweaks. I've found that teaching Reading Skills is much more laid out and straightforward than Creative Writing, although the jury is still out teaching on 7th graders.

Funny moment 7th grade moment:

While watching Tuck Everlasting Winnie's dad asks the bad guy "What's your game?" a split second later one of my students says "Mario cart." This is why I love Junior High!


1 comment: