So I love science fiction for a lot of reasons, but a couple of them are first they empower women like no other. Because Science fiction is set in the future where most of our social ills are supposedly sorted out, women usually have a good kind of equality with men. I mean look at Tasha Yar for heaven's sakes, she was one bad-a security officer, sorry Worf, I still think that I liked Tasha better. But this brings me to my absolute favorite Star Trek character of all time, Dr. Beverly Crusher. I LOVE HER!!! I seriously wish I knew her. She's an extremely talented Star Fleet doctor probably the best because I mean she's on the Enterprise. But she's also girly at the same time which I also kind of like, women don't have to give up their femininity to have equality, just look at Dr. Crusher. The thing I like the best about Crusher is that she had a great marriage (her husband died in a mission accident, when he son was five.), and marriage is fully supported by Star Fleet. Some choose not be married because it is not the best life for families but there are a lot of married people in Star Fleet. I love that The Enterprise is filled with families and kids and people in Star Fleet get to bring their kids along for the adventure. I imagine that if I lived in the 24th century that I would like to be a part of Star Fleet and I would be married and my husband would also be a part of Star Fleet. I seriously think about this, it's one of my science fiction fantasies, I am such a nerd. I kinda think Jeremy looks like William Ryker when he has a beard, so yeah.
Moving on to another wonderful science fiction show and example of Sci-Fi love is Amy and Rory. The Ponds; Oh how I love their love! It would be much too complicated to explain all the things that brought the Ponds together but let's just say that they are truly committed to each other. In Doctor Who sometimes the Doctor's companion (who is usually a woman) either falls in love with the Doctor or has a huge crush on him. At first it seemed like Amy would fall for the Doctor and leave Rory in the dust but not so. In the end Amy and Rory are faithful to each other, so faithful that Rory waits two thousand years for her, and Amy never falters in her love for Rory. I know it's totally cheesy, but Sci-Fi love is true love. After a few episodes Rory and Amy become the Doctor's companions, and the three of them adventure through the universe. Now you thought that was cheesy get ready for this one. My favorite quote about love from President Monson I think is, "Find the one you love and love the one you with." Or "Be fiercely loyal to your spouse." This is how I would describe my love of Jeremy, and I felt like somehow Doctor Who was able to exemplify this. I felt like Rory and Amy's love was fiercely loyal.
I feel like a lot of shows glorify the single life, as if marriage is such a burden and social life killer. I have been married for almost three years and I have to say that marriage really is better than single life I love marriage and I am so happy that the best Science Fiction portray happy and healthy ones.


:) Love this post! Can I insert a plug for one of my favorite sci-fi marriages? Wash and Zoe from Firefly. Seriously. LOVE THEM.
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness I forgot about them! They are a great example too!
DeleteGreat post, Candy. You hit a lot of great points "spot on". Thanks for being the greatest daughter-in-law EVER.
ReplyDeleteHehe, well thank you! And luckily you have a few more years to say that:)
DeleteGreat post. I, too, love the quote by Monson about loving the one we're with. And I love anything (movie, book, etc.) that portrays a happy marriage. Too many people now days think a good marriage isn't possible, but I know it is. Thanks for loving my son!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I really like material that has good marriages in it because media really affects how people think and if there are good ones portrayed I think it helps the general public start to accept the idea of marriage again.
Delete