Monday, August 26, 2013

To tell the truth...

Wow, being a first year teacher has opened my eyes. The importance of good classroom management never hit so hard before these first three days. Because 13 year-olds want to talk. Now don't worry although I'm not a veteran teacher or classroom management pro, I think I am doing pretty good for my limited experience. It's true what they say about your first year though; pretty painful. You go in there with lofty ideas and those 200 students will beat it out of you in a day, yep really, in a day. I still have lofty ideas but I am realizing my inexperience and possibly incorrect imaginings.

I think that in the experience we don't want to admit that we are experiencing hardship or that we even have feelings of doubt. Especially not me because I have wanted to be a teacher since I was in eighth grade. I feel like if I even think for one minute that I don't love every second of this experience, then I have turned my back on my dream. DON'T THINK THAT!!! Dreams are hard, even when you are experiencing them, especially when your dream is to be a teaching intern. I do tell myself that things worth doing are hard, even when it means you have to tell your class to quiet down, again.

Things I know:
I am already learning what to do better next year.
I am thinking of how to help the intern next year.
My fifth period class has 38 students and they are all silent, I admit it's a welcome relief.
It takes time for me to really love something, but that's not bad, because in the end I really LOVE it and become extremely loyal to it. Everything I feel about in this way has gone through this tough phase.
It takes time, so give it time.

I like this song I heard it on my Pandora Station and for some reason it has helped me feel inspired for some reason. It's called Pompeii by Bastille



2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much music can soothe us? Sounds like a kind of rough few days, but I'm sure that's very normal for a new teacher. I like your attitude about it all! It's a learning and growing experience, and it looks like you're coming out wiser for it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it's such a crazy experience! But I'm sure you're an incredible teacher. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete